Prime Rib Roast
Say goodbye to overcooked or undercooked prime rib! This foolproof method guarantees a juicy, perfectly medium-rare prime rib every time.
- 1 (6 or 10 pound) prime rib roast
- 1/4-1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1-2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper.
- 1-2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Kosher salt to taste
- Note - use higher amounts above for 10# roast and lower for 6# roast
- Place the prime rib roast on a plate and let sit for 2 to 4 hours to reach room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- In a bowl, combine softened butter, black pepper, and herbes de Provence. Mix the ingredients until well blended.
- Spread the butter mixture evenly over the entire roast, then season generously with kosher salt.
- Roast the prime rib in the preheated oven for 30 minutes (6#) or 50 minutes (10#). (Multiply the exact weight by 5 minutes.)
- Turn off the oven and leave the roast inside with the door closed. Let the roast sit in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove the roast from the oven, slice, and serve.