Favorite Beef Stew
Comfort food favorite – Beef Stew – made easy in a Dutch oven!
- 4 tablespoons neutral oil (avocado, grapeseed, canola) or ghee
- 2 pounds beef stew meat or 3 Beef Tenderloin Tails, 12oz cut into 2in cubes
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (reserve 2 tbsp for later)
- 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1 large Vidalia onion (or other sweet onion), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh creamer potatoes whole or baby new potatoes, halved
- ½ cup red wine or beer (dark ale, a stout, or a porter)
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 300°F
- Set your Dutch oven over a medium high heat - heat 2 tbsp oil/ghee until hot.
- Toss beef cubes in 2 tbsp seasoned (salt & pepper) flour mixture, add to the pan, and brown all sides – in batches – being sure not to crowd the pan. Setting aside each batch once browned.
- Keeping all the browned bits from the meat in the pan add 2 tbsp more oil/ghee to the hot pan – and add your carrots, onion, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add 2 tbsp of flour and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add red wine (or beer) to the pan to deglaze – scraping any remaining brown bits and tossing with the vegetables. Add beef broth and Worcestershire sauce stirring to combine.
- Toss in bay leaves, thyme & rosemary and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add beef back to the Dutch oven - cover and place in preheated 300°F oven to cook until meat is super tender and falling apart to the touch – about 2.5-3 hours. If using beef tenderloin tails reduce cooking time to 1.5-2 hours.
- During the last 45-60 minutes, stir in potatoes.
- Discard bay leaves and thyme & rosemary sprigs.
- Garnish with parsley & chives and enjoy!